There I was on Sunday. Knitting my little fins off. Just zipping along with my simple stockinette shawl with a few periodic yarn overs. And as I often do, I stretched it out a bit so I could admire my skill with knitting needles, the sparkles in the yarn, and the simplicity of the pattern. Ahhh…look how pretty…
But wait…What’s that? I look closer. Why, I seem to have done two yarn overs instead of just one on the previous pattern row! How silly of me. I’ll just rip back this purl row and half of the pattern row, fix it and move on! Silly guppy. So I tink and tink and tink (all 203 stitches per row), fix the problem and knit on!
And away I go! Knitting my little fins off. Just zipping along with my simple stockinette shawl with a few periodic yarn overs. And as I often do, I stretched it out a bit so I could admire my skill with knitting needles, the sparkles in the yarn, and the simplicity of the pattern. Ahhh…look how pretty…
But wait…What’s that? I look closer…this time I realize that back when I tinked back (8 rows and an additional 40 stitches per row at this point) I didn’t fix the problem. It wasn’t TWO yarn overs I had noticed. What I had failed to realize was that my stitch marker had migrated one stitch at some point–at THAT point, to be precise–and so my yarn overs had migrated one stitch over, too. Greaaaat.
Next came the big decision:
Option 1: Tink back each stitch in each row until I reached the point that I could fix it. Then I did the math and realized that there were 2,230 stitches I would have to tink back stitch.by.stitch.
Option 2: Knit until I reach that stitch, and try laddering the stitches down to that point and fixing it that way. Then I realized that (a) I have no idea how to pick up a yarn over, (b) Even if I did I wasn’t sure if it would always be in that column of stitches, since the yarn over adds an increase, and most importantly (c) I was WAAAAY too tired to try to figure this out.
Option 3: Take the shawl off the needles, rip back to the appropriate point, and pray like hell I pick up all the stitches.
Option 3 it is! However, on Monday night I was once again too tired to attempt any Complicated Knitter Tricks. So I set it aside until Tuesday morning. Once I got into work (early again) I ripped back and picked up what I thought was all my stitches. There were a few I needed to adjust and turn the right way, but for the most part I got all 202 of those suckers! Wait…202…that’s not right. So I tinked back one more row to add the yarn over I forgot at the end of the last pattern row and counted again. 203.
And I counted again. 203.
And I counted a THIRD time because even though I was coming up with exactly the number I was supposed to, y’all know that you just can’t trust your knitting. It likes to mess with your mind.
Yup. Still 203.
And I’ve knit a couple of rows again and still have the right amount of stitches. (I think. I hope. I haven’t counted in a couple of rows.)
So I’ve repaired the damage and am now catching up. I still should be good to finish by the deadline. I really only have about 35 more rows to go. The problem is they keep getting significantly longer each time. LOL.
Lynda the Guppy
aka The Fish With Sticks